Friday 27 March 2015

1) In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?



In my planning and research, I looked at certain things about existing music videos that I could use to make my music video look as realistic as possible.

Below is my LIIAR analysis of existing music videos of the same genre. I did this to help point out all of the different elements I could use in my video. It gave me ideas on how the narrative should be, what types of performance shots could be used, and also some ideas on locations and other mise-en-scene elements.


Below is my research in to different editing techniques and shot styles and effect that I could use in my own video. These could help develop conventions in my music video because a lot of the effects used are very common in music videos and they could have been very effective in my music video.


Analysis of my own product

Cinematography
I used a variety of shots throughout my music video. The most commonly used shot in my music video is the medium close up. I used this shot because it is very effective when switching between characters because it shows them in the same way. It is also good because it gets enough of the location in to know where they are, but it’s not too far away that the characters are unrecognizable. In my music video I used backwards tracking shot. This was also a handheld shot because it was of the couple walking. I used a tracking shot because it feel the use of it matched the pace of the song. In my music video, I used establishing shots to show the different locations that I used throughout.
Mise-en-scene
In my music video I used a lot of different locations. This was done to show the effect of time passing by and to keep the story from getting boring. I also used a few different costumes for my characters to show that it is at different times of their life and also to show the type of people they were at the time. I had a wide range of props that was used in my music video. One of the important props that were featured was the golden wedding ring. In this moment, the wedding ring shows the advancement of the relationship and helps move the story along. Another important prop is the use of the instruments, because without these I would not have been able to have the performance scenes, which are a conventional element of any pop-punk song, but we also would not know what the characters are doing.
Editing

In my music video, I used jump cuts mainly to transition between the shots because they are quick and snappy, matching the pace of the song.  In some parts, I used fade to black edits. When I used these it was to slow the pace of the song down because the song may have been in a bridge or it might have been right at the end of the song. The fade edit is good because it is smooth, and glides down, rather than just cutting away, making it not like a jump cut which is snappy. After one of the fades I edited in a blank space. This was to completely hold the narrative and the video because the song was in a very slow part and the edit was used to build up suspense, ready for the music to pick up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment